Dandruff may be giving you a lot of tensions in daily life due to the irritable itching and unsightly flakes falling on your dress. You need not worry as there are oodles of dandruff cure methods that can help you get rid of these obnoxious flakes.
Methods of dandruff cure
If you are a person doing everything the nature’s way, then you may not be comfortable trying the innumerable chemical based over the counter products available for Dandruff Cure. In that case, try these natural home based remedies for dandruff cure as it is always better to get rid of the problem when it is mild.
• Moisturize your scalp regularly with coconut oil and lemon juice (2:1) mixture; leave it for at least 15 minutes before rinsing it thoroughly.
• Warm extra virgin olive oil and apply it on the scalp, massage gently and wrap your scalp with a towel. Now brush off all the flakes from the hair and wash with water and a mild shampoo.
• Boil a handful of Indian lilac or neem leaves in 3 cups of water, cool and strain it, use this as a hair wash in your dandruff cure regimen.
• Apply white vinegar directly to your scalp, leave it for few minutes and then rinse it off.
• Mix equal amount of water and apple cider vinegar in 15 drops of tea tree oil, now use this solution to massage your scalp gently, leave it for few minutes and wash thoroughly.
Medical Treatments for Dandruff Cure
Meet a dermatologist and find the reason and severity of your dandruff. After this, you can start taking the course of medicines to control dandruff. Usually the course of dandruff cure through medicines involves the usage of anti-dandruff shampoo, medicated creams and lotions for the scalp.
• Medicines - Usually shampoos containing selenium sulfide, salicylic acid, zinc pyrithione or ketoconazole are prescribed by the dermatologist to clean your dandruff affected hair. Scalp lotions and creams having corticosteroid in the concentration of 1% or 0.5% can also be applied on the scalp to reduce the skin inflammation and control the dandruff. If the dandruff is due to the yeast like fungal growth, then antifungal creams would be more effective. Anti-fungal creams have either miconazole or clotrimazole as the main ingredient and are generally available over the counter. Scalp lotions and creams have to be applied on moist hair immediately after shampooing.
• Application - It is a general practice of the dermatologist to advice Dandruff Cure with different medical ingredients so that the dandruff comes under control sooner. You may have to frequently shampoo your dandruff affected hair and scalp throughout the regimen of the dandruff cure. While shampooing, you should take care to massage the scalp nicely and gently with the shampoo and should leave it for at least 5 minutes so that the ingredients work on the dandruff flakes. If advised, shampooing has to be combined with applying the moisturizing creams and lotions.
• Effectiveness - Most of times one anti-dandruff shampoo will be effective only for a period of time and then it may not work; then you will have to try using another anti-dandruff shampoo. However these medicated shampoos and creams have to be applied or used only until the dandruff subsides. If it recurs again, then they have to be reused depending on the severity of your symptoms.
• Exceptions - The main purpose and course of action of these medicinal treatments is to keep the scalp moisturized and to control the growth of fungus. In rare and severe cases of dandruff problem, even medical treatments of topical application may not be effective and in such cases derma experts may prescribe short term intake of oral steroids like prednisone. However it is dangerous to take such medicines except under medical supervision.
No need to get embarrassed or keep your much beloved black dress aside because of the unpleasant dandruff flakes as there are myriad ways of dandruff cure. Bringing in healthy lifestyle changes like reducing stress, eliminating harsh hair styling products, taking in zinc and vitamin B rich food in your daily diet and reducing the exposure of UV rays of the sun can help you in controlling the dandruff in the long run. However it is always advisable to take the expert opinion before you try out the medical treatments.